This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason Nipp View Post
    Wood burning furnaces have transitioned to being outside now. Or I could just say you can buy one that resides on the exterior of your home. Growing up my Aunt's home had both a wood burning furnace and a natural gas unit, you could toggle between them with a damper. When they used the wood furnace, the house was always hot. I remember helping stock the walls and walls of chopped wood in the garage.

That being said they still use electricity for the blowers.
    I'm referring to wood stoves though. Like this: http://www.regency-fire.com/Wood/Stoves/F3100/

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Nipp View Post
      Low shot Tom, you know times are hard right now. Hell, I had to let the maids go last week and I also had to shut down the pool heater. Yes Tom I know, being indoors it may stay warm for awhile but I can't stand for a cold swim you know.... :nono:

If we keep going down this path I may have to switch to DirecTV.

This post is joke, you know sarcasm at it's best........
      Oops, I missed the closing, size 1, white caveat and already sent a note to our contacts to see if we can get you on the next DIRECTV field trials...

Thankfully, Jason, you have a great family (seriously) and can handle this crisis. Maybe we'll get the pool heater turned back on soon.

Cheers,
      Tom

Comment

pool? what's a pool? is that like a big puddle?

Comment

Odd I was thinking the opposite having lived almost entire life in Litchfield less the last 6 years I was always amazed by how much less snow my Grandparents in Greenwich or Stamford would have.

With that aside I have had the luxury experiencing a few tornado's now living in the St Louis area, and an earthquake or to in Cali my preference would be the Hurricane plenty of notice, if you get are not prepared for its your fault.

Unlike big snow, try moving on I84 or the MASS TURNPIKE during an nor'easter let alone city or town roads, power, roof, and heat can quickly become a concern in NE & NW CT. Tornadoes have little to no warning and, can be very destructive in a localized area problem is you don't know where that area is going to be. Earthquakes well can be rather timid, or turn your world upside down.

Originally posted by MicroBeta View Post
          I think I'd like the blizzard.

I live in New England and we usually have a weeks warning that something is coming and several days on how severe it will be.

Here is SE CT the infrastructure is strong enough that I could wait out the the storm and everything is back to normal relatively quickly.

I think it has a lot to do with where I live. If I were in say Maine or the Dakota's, I probably would prefer something other than a blizzard.

Here in southern NE, I'd definitly go with the blizzard.

Mike

Comment

If I had a choice, Hurricane. Very well notified and I live far enough away from the Gulf that it is usually just rain that we get.

I grew up in Houston and I have lived and seen my share of these things to know not to take them serious. It can be a very extended time without power and when there is no power, there is no water, at least the kind you can drink. The first one I lived through was Carla.

Comment

Its amazing to me that people are so afraid of earthquakes. A properly construct one or two story home will survive pretty much any earthquake unharmed, and with very little damage except for some cosmetic stuff. If you ever watch the news after an earthquake, its always about stuff that fell off the shelves, or chimneys that fell that where built 50 years ago, or structures that don't meet todays earthquake requirements... If a tornado hits your house, you have structural damage, period.. its always more than something a little paint can fix... now if your sideswiped, well, its a little better.. as for hurricanes, again, if one hits your area, you have plenty of time to get out, but its kind of hard to tow your house with you, and if it does hit, again, its a guarantee of structural damage, and replacing things like carpet, etc... And seriously, a massive earthquake is extremely rare, and I don't live in Alaska, so I'll probably never be involved in a 8.3 or higher one anywhere near me.. cause thats what it would take to cause major damage to a widespread area... Go back and look at the biggest quakes in the last 20 years.. its always old stuff that fell over.. nothing new....

Comment

If the ground is a rockin' don't come knockin'

Comment

Something is always moving in these here parts.

Comment

I'll take a blizzard or Nor'easter over an earthquake, or tornadoes, or mudslides, or forest fires fueled by Santa Anna winds any day. We get the occasional hurricane here on Long Island, but they've usually lost so much power by the time they get here it's mostly little to minor impact. Snow melts, moisture eventually dries up, kerosene heaters are available if there's no power, and there's almost never property damage.

My island is slowly sinking into the Atlantic, but even that's not a concern, for at a 1/4" a year it will take quite a while for Long Island to disappear... well after I'm gone. I guess I have a pretty stable home when it comes to weather and natural instabilities ...

Comment

I'd rather have some friggin SUN !!
                      officially we had 23 days of rain and 7 sunny days in June, unofficially 4 of those 7 had some locales with light rain due to being partially cloudy. so really we had 3 sunny days in June.
                      so far July is the same way, rain and cloudy.

Comment

After a day of riding (motorcycle) in 100+ temps, what I really would rather have is a rear tire. It went bad (started separating from the cord) about 30 miles up the road and I nursed my way into beautiful Walla Walla Washington. Now all I have to do is hope one of the (3) local bike shops is open tomorrow, and has a tire in stock. The tire had a good amount of wear on it, but still had adequate tread and looked okay when I started out this morning. Pressure was good in it (then and now). Just luck of the draw I guess. No way I'm going to try and ride this thing any farther though.

Comment

Carl, don't tell me it's a Dunlop Elite 3....I can't tell you how many of those I've seen do that over the years. Yet all the other tire mfg's have given up on building tires for the Wings. Rock, meet hard place.

Comment

Originally posted by WERA689 View Post
                            Carl, don't tell me it's a Dunlop Elite 3....I can't tell you how many of those I've seen do that over the years. Yet all the other tire mfg's have given up on building tires for the Wings. Rock, meet hard place.
                            Try owning a BMW with runflats that only 2 tire makers produce. Carl I hope you got what you needed. Drive safe going where ever you are going

Comment

I'd rather deal with a blizzard any day of the week. Snow will melt.

Comment

Yeah, Elite 3's alright. Two (front and rear) being UPS'd from Portland OR. Won't be back on the road until early tomorrow afternoon. But home is only about 5 hours, so that will okay. Front was worn down enough to justify replacing it at the same time. Would have to replace it pretty soon anyway, so might as well keep them matched.

Now, what to do in Walla Walla WA for 24 hours?????????????????

Wife wants to go shopping. I reminded her if it's bigger than a hand scarf, it has to be shipped home. lol
                                Last edited by Carl6; 07-06-2009, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X