X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power plants in space?

source
    Mehta has another solution for India's chronic electricity shortage, one that does not involve power plants on the ground but instead massive sun-gathering satellites in geosynchronous orbits 22,000 miles in the sky.

The satellites would electromagnetically beam gigawatts of solar energy back to ground-based receivers, where it would then be converted to electricity and transferred to power grids. And because in high Earth orbit, satellites are unaffected by the earth's shadow virtually 365 days a year, the floating power plants could provide round-the-clock clean, renewable electricity.

Wow, that has to be expensive to try to implement. And how safe is it going to be beaming that energy down to Earth

Comment

I just recorded a "Discovery Project Earth" episode about this very thing.

Mike

Comment

I have taken control of your power plants... I will turn the energy beam and DESTROY New York City unless... duh duh duuuuuuhhhhh....

You give me ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. (huh what?) Really? Ok... excuse me...

I am holding the world for ransom for ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS... (huh what?) Really? The government spent 700 Billion dollars on foreclosed houses... huh... well hell...

Just give me a lot of money and I'll give you back your power plants...

Comment

Originally posted by 66stang351 View Post
          Wow, that has to be expensive to try to implement. And how safe is it going to be beaming that energy down to Earth
          oops, we missed the aiming, sorry about your house :eek2:

Comment

For some reason, when I think of power beams to earth, I'm reminded of the movie "Real Genius"...

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE View Post
              oops, we missed the aiming, sorry about your house :eek2:
              And how big would the no fly zones be???

Comment

Working...
              X