This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1080p movies/events from DirecTV On Demand

DirecTV has snuck 2 more 1080p movies into their On Demand section on their website.They are Harry Potter and The Happening.
    To add them to your queue,you must log into your DirecTV account,go to the On Demand section of the site and select High-Def and DIRECTV On DEMAND 1080P in the Filter Titles section of the On Demand page.There are currently 7 titles available for download.

Here is the list of titles available currently:
    48 Hours 1080p
    The Bucket List
    Harry Potter 1080p VBR
    Mission Impossible III 1080p
    The Scorpion King 2:Rise of a Warrior-1080p
    The Happening 1080p LS
    The Scorpion King 1080p

Comment

Sucks to be me... my TV isn't 1080p so they're not showing up.

Thanks anyway for the heads-up.

Comment

Originally posted by tcusta00 View Post
        Sucks to be me... my TV isn't 1080p so they're not showing up.

Thanks anyway for the heads-up.
        You have to look on the website and schedule to download from there. It doesn't matter if you have a 1080p tv or not, you can still download and watch in 1080i

Comment

The movies were available to download by signing into your DirecTV account for a short while yesterday.
          The way I found them was by signing into our account,go to DirecTV On Demand and search for High-Def on the 1080p channel.
          I don't know what happened,but DirecTV took the 1080p material down sometime yesterday afternoon/evening.
          Channel 1080 was in their On Demand listings yesterday,but it has been removed now.
          Nothing in 1080p has been available from them since then.There was quite a bit of discussion going on about this on DBSTalk yesterday,in the HD DVR forum.
          Perhaps they will get that going again soon for us.

Comment

Yep, they are gone...I found them by searching 1080p from m.directv.com yesterday. Glad I downloaded what I wanted then.

Comment

HP movie was severly broken up/choppy past halfway.. also audio leading the video by a couple seconds

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE View Post
                HP movie was severly broken up/choppy past halfway.. also audio leading the video by a couple seconds
                this was the variable bit rate one too wasn't it? I have it but have not looked at it yet. I noticed it downloaded relatively quick for an hd movie.

Comment

Psssttt,don't tell anyone,but Showtime is pushing some 1080p/24 content via DirecTV On Demand. :sure:
                  It was mentioned by someone over on DBSTalk sometime yesterday.I'm currently downloading "Premonition".I've already attempted playback of some of the movie.According to the LED's on our HR20-700,it is in the 1080p/24 resolution.The 720p and 1080i LED's stay lit up during playback of the program.
                  The way I am downloading the Showtime content is as follows:
                  Go to channel 1000.
                  Select High-Def.
                  Select Movies.
                  Look for content from Showtime,channel 1537.
                  The descriptions of the programs do not indicate 1080p,but if you add something to your queue,download 5-10% of it and attempt playback,the 720p and 1080i LED's should light up.

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE View Post
                    When you were viewing the playback of HP,had the movie completed its download,or was it still in your queue?The reason I ask is because I have experienced similar conditions when attempting playback while the films are still downloading.If the download is complete on our end,playback has been flawless.

Comment

No 1080p here either, so I cannot compare .. It will be probably 5 years at a minimum before I have one in my house unless there is a fire sale somewhere.

Comment

Considering the shape the economy is in these days,those "fire sales" may come sooner than expected Doug.
                        I imagine that Black Friday will turn out to be very interesting this year too.
                        In our area,there is a local electronics retailer,Electronic Express,that has been slashing prices on several of their 1080p TV's recently.I spoke with the manager at one of their stores within the last week in regards to the prices dropping on these TV's.He said that the prices will continue on a downward trend through the end of '08.
                        We have already invested in 2 1080p TV's (46" LG & 47" Philips LCD's).
                        Luckily for us,both of these LCD sets will handle the 1080p/24 product that DirecTV is putting out to their customers,via HDMI.
                        I have an older 32" JVC HDTV that will handle 1080i,but it's a no go with 1080p.It does not have HDMI capabilities built into it,it is Component only.I think I may look into replacing it within the next couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Brott View Post
                          No 1080p here either, so I cannot compare .. It will be probably 5 years at a minimum before I have one in my house unless there is a fire sale somewhere.
                          Hey Doug,check your PM's when you get a chance.

Comment

Showtime On Demand,channel 1537 is doing some more 1080p/24 programming

A heads up on Showtime on Demand folks.
                            I am downloading the film "Crank" from channel 1537.
                            The download isn't complete yet,but a quick check via playback of the first 1-2 minutes of the movie confirms that it is in the 1080p/24 resolution.

Comment

Well,Showtime's 1080p/24 material is still a "work in progress".
                              I watched the first 10-15 minutes of "Crank".The PQ looked fantastic,audio was in sync.But,at the bottom of the screen,I saw alot of the "choppy/jerky" video that other folks have spoke of.Also saw alot of artifacts during fast moving sequences in the film.Deleted it from my Playlist.
                              Oh well,at least they are trying.
                              Perhaps in the next week or two,they will get it right. :grin:

Comment

Working...
                              X